Installing Hyper-V Server Role in 7 Easy Steps
For those of you who want to try out Hyper-V on your Server 2008 I have prepared a detailed step-by-step guide for quick and easy Hyper-V Server Role installation.
It will take you less than 7 minutes and only 7 easy steps.
And in case you haven’t seen my previous Hyper-V article, check out my 7 Awesome Things You Can Do With Hyper-V.
To begin, make sure you are logged in to your Windows Server 2008 machine and your Server Manager is open.
1. Click on Roles and then on Add Roles option in the right column.
2. In the Before You Begin window you can check a box next to Skip this page by default. This is only an informational page and after reading it once you will probably never want to read it again. So to skip it you can check the box here and when ready, click Next.
3. In this step you need to select the role you want to install, which is Hyper-V, then click Next.
4. Read through the information about Hyper-V and when ready, click Next.
5. Our physical machine has two network controllers. What we’re going to do now is select which one is going to be utilized by Hyper-V for our network connectivity.
In my example I’m going to select the first local area connection and then click Next. You should select whatever works best for your network.
6. Make sure all your choices are correct and when ready, click Install.
7. Once the installation is completed you will see your Installation Results page. Go ahead and click Close — your Hyper-V installation has been successful!
In my next article I’ll walk you through creating a new virtual machine in Hyper-V.