Overview on ISEB Certification
Information Systems Examinations Board (ISEB) is a part of British Computing Society (BCS), which is the governing board for ISEB certifications and was formed in 1957. It is an international examination body created to raise the standard of competence and performance of people working in IT. ISEB is an exam body that has been operating for 40 years.
Advantage of ISEB Certification:
• The ISEB qualifications allow candidates to learn new skills in specific business and IT areas which measure competence, ability and performance.
• It offers IT professionals a variety of internationally recognized qualifications.
• It provides industry-recognized qualifications that measure competence, ability and performance in many areas with the aim of raising industry standards, promoting career development and providing competitive edge for employers.
Software Testing Certification is available at the ISEB levels of Foundation, Intermediate, and Practitioner covering the subjects of testing at each stage of the lifecycle ensuring improved quality of deliverables. The qualifications of ISEB area provide an insight in to the different types of testing and the techniques and tools, which can be used to carry out and manage this testing. This ISEB Software Testing qualifications offer an international benchmark of skills and experience for Software Testers. The exams offer a stepping stone from foundation through intermediate and onto practitioner.
The levels of ISEB certificate are as follows:
ISEB Foundation Level:
The Foundation Certificate in Software Testing is ideal for all who have an interest in understanding the basic concepts of software testing. This Foundation Level is aimed at anyone involved in software testing and includes people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers. It examines up to level K3 of the given learning objectives/levels of knowledge. This level of qualification is also appropriate for anyone who wants a basic understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors and management consultants. Foundation Certificate Holders will be able to go on to a higher level software testing qualification. This ISEB certification leads to ISTQB certified testing qualifications. This Foundation Certificate in Software Testing now has dual accreditation with the ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) and successful candidates will receive certification with both ISEB and ISTQB recognition at Foundation level.
ISEB Intermediate Certificate:
This Intermediate Certificate in Software Testing examination is suitable for those who are engaged in any aspect of software testing. It is the next level of foundation level. It covers everything required by the ISEB syllabus with the emphasis on helping delegates to understand, remember and apply knowledge and applicable skills. The topics covered are essential knowledge for an advanced level test professional, regardless of their Test Analysis or Test Management. A pass in this certificate provides evidence that the candidate has proven analytical ability, having gained knowledge and practical skills in the key topics required for practicing software testing. This qualification examines up to level K4 of the given learning objectives/levels of knowledge. It is a prerequisite for candidates who wish to sit either of the ISEB practitioner level exams in software testing.
The ISEB Practitioner Certificate in Software Testing is internationally recognized as the essential measurement for those wishing to advance their career within the software testing industry. The new ISEB Practitioner Certificate in Software Testing enables testers to specialize as either a test analyst or a test manager.
ISEB Practitioner Test Management:
This ISEB Practitioner Certificate in Test Management is suitable for those who are or aim to be actively involved in the management of any aspect of software testing. The certificate extends the content of the ISEB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing and builds on the topic covered in ISEB’s Intermediate Certificate in Software Testing in the areas of test management. A pass in this certificate provides evidence that the candidate has gained a high level of competency in topics specific to the management of software testing, having proven ability to analysis, synthesis, and evaluate. This qualification examines up to level K6 of the given learning objectives/levels of knowledge.
ISEB Practitioner Test Analysis:
This ISEB Practitioner Certificate in Test Analysis is suitable for those who are or aim to be actively involved in the analysis of any aspect of software testing. The certificate extends the content of the ISEB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing and builds directly on ISEB’s Intermediate Certificate in Software Testing specifically covering the technical aspects of testing. It provides evidence that the candidate has gained a high level of competency in topics specific to the analysis of software testing, having proven ability to analysis, synthesis and evaluate. This qualification examines up to level K6 of the learning objectives as defined in the Bloom’s Taxonomy.
ISEB qualifications cover nine major subject areas in IT:
• IT Service Management/ITIL.
• Software Testing.
• Green and Sustainable IT.
• Business Analysis.
• Systems Development.
• Project Management and Support.
• IT Governance, Information and Security.
• IT Assets and Infrastructure.
• Data Centre Management.
New ISEB Exam Pattern
The exam pattern is as follows:
• The Intermediate Certification with a 1 hour, 25 question scenario-based multiple choice exam. The certificate awarded is a pre-requisite for the Practitioner Certificates. This is a pre-requisite for the Test Management and Test Analysis Certificates.
• The Practitioner Certificate in Test Management with an essay based exam answering 4 half hour questions from a choice of 6.
• The Practitioner Certificate in Test Analysis with an essay based exam answering 4 half-hour questions form a choice of 6.
Availability of ISEB Exam:
• The ISEB foundation exam is available via Prometric (An online testing company), via public examination and by attending a Training Provider course.
• The ISEB Intermediate exam is available via quarterly public exam sittings arranged by ISEB, which are normally held in the BCS London Offices near Covent Garden, London. The exam is also available on request to ISEB accredited Training Providers who are able to request the exams to follow their courses. ISEB intended to offer the ISEB Software Testing Intermediate exam via Prometric (a global online testing company) from 2008.
• The ISEB Practitioner exams in Test Management and Test Analysis are available via quarterly public exam sittings arranged by ISEB, which are normally held in the BCS London Offices near Covent Garden, London. The exam is also available to ISEB accredited Training Providers quarterly on request, as per the current Practitioner exam.
Pass marks for the new ISEB exams:
• For the Intermediate exam the pass mark is 60% – there are 25 questions in all and 15 of these must be correct.
• For the Practitioner exams the pass mark is also 60% and a distinction can be achieved with 80% correct.
Training Provider Information:
The new ISEB Intermediate or Practitioner exams are ordered in the same way as any other ISEB Software Testing exam. Accredited Training Providers have access to the ISEB secure website from which the exams can be requested. Exams can also be ordered by fax, email or by post.