How Do I Install Windows 2008 Server Core?
I spent some time with Microsoft going over Windows 2008 Server Core while at TechEd 2010.
Server Core has many advantages. For one thing the install includes only the bare minimum resources and functions which improves security and makes the server easier to maintain.
Because Server Core installs less there is less to manage and maintain. And because Server Core runs less there’s less to attack.
Take a look at this article to see why less is more with Server Core.
So, how do you install and configure Windows 2008 Server Core?
Here is a tutorial to help you get up to speed on how to perform a command line Server Core installation on Windows Server 2008: how to install and configure Server 2008 Server core.
And here is some free video training that will help you get started with administering your very own Server Core.
- Part 1: How to Activate a Newly Installed Server Core Edition of Server 2008
- Part 2: How to Assign a Computer Name to a Server Core and Join It to a Domain
- Part 3: How to Install Roles & Features on Server 2008 Server Core
- Part 4: How to Setup & Utilize Remote Administration on Server 2008 Server Core
- Part 5: How to Setup & Utilize RODC on Server 2008 Server Core